Monday, February 23, 2009

Jim van Os and the ‘salience dysregulation syndrome’.

Jim van Os has long been one of my very favorite people in the world of psychosis. He is a professor of psychiatry at Maastricht, Netherlands and one of the truly innovative thinkers in the field.

Yesterday I came upon an editorial that he published this month (February 2009) in the British Journal of Psychiatry. In this concisely organized three-page article, van Os proposes a new diagnostic system for psychosis.

First he reminds the reader about the lack of validity of the current system, which is based on the construct of a disorder called ‘schizophrenia’. He reviews the evidence that this construct, on the one hand, lumps together people with widely different conditions and, on the other, separates people who have commonalities in terms of genetic and brain characteristics.

To replace the current diagnoses that are applied to people with psychosis, van Os proposed that everyone with psychosis (or sufficient severity to require psychiatric attention) be described as having a ‘salience dysregulation syndrome’. We have talked about salience in a previous posting of this blog. By adopting salience as a central construct van Os is using Kapur’s model in which psychosis (hallucinations and delusions) arise because the person has difficulty determining which of their mental experiences are relevant (and therefore need to be attended to and incorporated) and which are not. In Kapur’s model psychosis arises from an over inclusion of perceptions and experiences.

It is significant that van Os calls his construct a ‘syndrome’, rather than a ‘disorder’. He explains that a syndrome describes a set of signs and symptoms that tend to occur together but do not have a common cause (which would be the case for a true disorder).

A key point, as well, is that people with psychosis tend to experience other symptoms or have other characteristics. The hallucinations and delusions are, in fact, technically termed as ‘positive psychotic symptoms’ (positive meaning a symptom that is added to the usual human experience) to distinguish them from ‘negative symptoms’ (for example, an inability to experience pleasure or a lack of motivation). Disorganization tends to be present with psychosis and is included by some as a positive symptom, or seen as a separate dimension by others. As well, people with psychosis tend to have cognitive deficits in certain aspects of attention, memory and problem solving that appear to be present as part of development prior to the onset of psychosis. Depressive symptoms and manic symptoms also tend to co-occur with psychosis.

Using these six dimensions (positive symptoms, negative symptoms, disorganization, developmental cognitive deficits, depressive symptoms and manic symptoms), van Os constructs a diagram in which the severity of each symptom or deficit is rated for each individual person with psychosis. The ratings in all six dimensions provide a unique representation of the individual condition of each person.
The individual six dimension ratings provide, in the diagnostic system proposed by van Os, a way to divide the syndrome into three sub-categories.

The first category (salience dysregulation syndrome with developmental cognitive deficits) is used for people who have relative severe development cognitive deficits along with more severe negative symptoms and disorganization.

The second category (salience dysregulation syndrome with affective expression) is used for people who have relatively severe depressive and/or manic symptoms.

The third category (salience dysregulation syndrome ‘not otherwise specified’) is used for people who have relative severe positive psychotic symptoms and/or disorganization and relatively little in the way of cognitive deficits, negative symptoms or mood symptoms.

This new diagnostic system, that van Os is proposing, would encompass people who currently receive a diagnosis of schizophrenia or other ‘schizophrenia spectrum disorders’ and, as well, many who receive a diagnosis of bipolar disorder.

Whether this diagnostic proposal will ever be accepted and put into use in psychiatry certainly is not clear. It is timely in that both of the major diagnostic systems currently in use (DSM and ICD) are in the process of being revised. Dr. Van Os is, in fact, a member of the task force examining possible revisions to the DSM system in regard to psychosis.

However, there is a great deal of resistance to any major change in the diagnostic system for psychosis and the idea of putting aside the construct of schizophrenia, that has been so important to psychiatry for 100 years, is probably much too radical to be accepted.

Most people in psychiatry cling to the view that schizophrenia is a real disorder and forget that it is simply a construct used to try and bring order to the great range of mental conditions that include, as one of their features, the experience of psychosis.

Reference: Jim van Os (2009). A salience dysregulation syndrome. British Journal of Psychiatry 194, 101-103.

4 comments:

  1. See about my experience with mr J van Os in the context of bad practice and violation of human rights
    here,
    http://comingbacktoreality.blogspot.com/2009/01/salience-and-psychosis.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jose Andrews is my name, Some people keep questioning God, asking him why he allowed Satan to put in the world deadly diseases, but they never know that anything happening in this life, is just for a particular reason. Here is my story on how I was cured of schizophrenia by a herbal doctor Uwadia Amneifo using his herbal mixture. Few months ago, I realized I had some problem with my system, and later on I begin to forget things easily. I complained to my doctor after his text he said just a little problem with me, but that soon I will be fine. He prescribed for me and I was taking medicine according to his prescription but my condition was getting worse instead of coming down. So I went back to my doctor after some time, he said am having issues with my brain, this continues gradually until it became worse and I was diagnosed of schizophrenia. My doctor told me there is no cure to this disease that I have to live and die with it. It continued for one month and my system was almost shutting down before my cousin brother came to my house to visit and broke to us the news about a herbal doctor he heard about called doctor Uwadia Amenifo. So he explained how he heard about this herbal doctor uwadia Amenifo and the kind of terrible diseases this doctor have cured. His words were very impressing and I had to give the doctor a try. We made contact with him and he said he can cure me. So my cousin made all necessary arrangement with him, and he prepared herbs and send to me in USA. I took the herbs according to his prescription and behold to cut long story short his herbs works perfectly well, and cured me of my schizophrenia. Today I am hale and healthy and evidence of my healthiness can been seen in this piece of note I wrote myself to tell the world about Herbal Doctor Uwadia Amenifo. Please if you know anyone suffering from brain disease, in a hurry contact Doctor Uwadia Amenifo on his email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com), and his cell no is +2349052015874. I wish all suffering from brain problem quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After been in pain and sorrow for 5years, Doctor EHIDIAMEN was able to restore my life back with his herbal medicine, my good friends i have been diagnosed of salience syndrome for 3years and everyday of my life i cry to God as i was a father of 2 cute kids who were looking up to me, I was taking my medication from the hospital, I also did some prayers to God that he should do some miracle in my life, my friends this is a life touching story i am sharing with you all on internet today, Few Months ago i was browsing on net when i found some good testimonials about Doctor EHIDIAMEN Herbs, and someone recommended that he has been cured of different disease and virus by Doctor EHIDIAMEN, i always had faith that God could use someone to heal me, i contacted Doctor EHIDIAMEN and i told him concerning my problem he told me not to worry that with God all things are possible and also that he is going to prepare me some herbal herbs which i am to take and he is going to send the medicine to me through the delivery company to my country, well after all the guidance and medication from Doctor EHIDIAMEN he advice that i go for check again to see my status result and he assured me of good result, i was afraid at this point cause i never wanted someone to tell me again that am still diagnosed of salience syndrome, after 2days i went to the Hospital for check up and they said the result was to come out by Friday, at 12:00am on Friday the hospital Doctor called me and told me that the result was out and am free of salience syndrome, i was shocked and could not believe it, i immediately called Doctor EHIDIAMEN and told him about the good news he told me to rejoice and make sure i share my testimony with my friends and that is why i am doing this right now, friends you can contact Doctor EHIDIAMEN today on (doctorehidiamen@gmail.com ) cell phone number (+2348102802949), friends Doctor EHIDIAMEN can help you solve any problem contact him now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting rib of Herpes virus wasn't easy, I came across Dr voodoo on how he
    has cured so many people from herpes and other illness so I decided to give
    him a try, now am permanently cured using the natural herbs medication and
    cleansing supplement sent by Dr voodoo no more herpes, contact Dr voodoo
    WhatsApp number +2348140120719 also e-mail him at:
    voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete